Tax season is on, IRS open weekends
The Internal Revenue Service – and social service agencies across Florida – kicked off the tax season Friday with events to highlight what one IRS official called “one of the largest and frankly most efficient anti-poverty program in the government.”
Director of Electronic Tax Administration David R. Williams said the Earned Income Tax Credit refunded nearly $50 billion to taxpayers last year. At amounts up to $5,700 for families with children, “It can make a significant difference in the lives of lower-income taxpayers.”
Yet 20 to 25 percent of those eligible for the credit, he said, don’t claim it. That would be around 5 million taxpayers.
IRS offices across South Florida will be open this weekend to help taxpayers get started on their returns. The goal is to kick-start the season, particularly for those who could claim the EITC.
The IRS and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites will prepare tax returns for free for those whose income last year was $49,000 or less.
The IRS office in Plantation at 7850 SW 6th Court will be open Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. It will be open every Saturday to help taxpayers through April 15 with the exception of April 3.
The IRS offices in Miami at 51 S.W. First Ave. and West Palm Beach at 1700 West Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. will also be open three Saturdays, Jan. 30, Feb. 6 and Feb. 20.
In addition, sites where you can get free tax help are scattered across South Florida.
To find a VITA site and its hours, call 211 in Broward or 561-383-1111 in Palm Beach County or 311 in Miami Dade.
To qualify for the EITC, your adjusted gross income must be less than:
• $43,279 ($48,279 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
• $40,295 ($45,295 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
• $35,463 ($40,463 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
• $13,440 ($18,440 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
The maximum EITC credit is:
• $5,657 with three or more qualifying children
• $5,028 with two qualifying children
• $3,043 with one qualifying child
• $457 with no qualifying children