South Florida Sun-Sentinel

> For more Palm Beach County news, please click here.

February 5, 2013

Local dating guru Angela Lutin hopes to find love tonight on Bravo TV's 'Millionaire Matchmaker'

Local dating guru Angela Lutin said no one knows her better than her ex-husband, so when Lutin was being cast to find a dating match on Bravo TV’s hit show "Millionaire Matchmaker," she brought along Gregory Lutin.

According to BravoTV.com com, "Millionaire Matchmaker" host Patti Stanger said she was "floored” when Lutin’s ex turned up in a pitch video to get on the show.

Tonight at 10 p.m., Angela Lutin will be featured on the show. In an interview today in downtown Delray Beach, Lutin said that the restaurant Cut 432, 432 E. Atlantic Ave., is featured in the show as is trendy East Atlantic Avenue. Shot back in May, Lutin was then flown to shoot for a week in Los Angeles with Stanger and the crew.

“My ex-husband and I are best friends. Tonight’s show is about alpha females and about me getting back into the world of dating. After getting divorced four and a half years ago I threw myself into my blog and writing and didn’t concentrate on myself. In 2013, I wanted to concentrate on finding a relationship and having fun,” Lutin said.

She didn’t say if she found love on the show, but one thing is evident, Lutin is making a successful career as a dating expert. Her blog started out as an online journal recounting her own adventures on the dating scene in South Florida and quickly grew to Essentially Angela Inc., a date coaching service that helps struggling singles navigate dating in the social media age.

“I’m helping seniors and divorcees get back into dating. I learned it’s all about re-inventing yourself. I try to appeal to everyone. I’m an online dating expert, teaching people how to create a dating profile, so they don’t have to be out every night of the week looking for a perfect match. I tell them how often to text, how to become date tech-savvy and teach them everything they need to know up to the date itself," Lutin said.

We’ll find out tonight if Lutin and her ex-husband found the dating guru some love.

POSTED IN:

Discuss this entry

January 29, 2013

Delray Beach Fire-Rescue responds to fire and saves family dog

Delray Beach Fire-Rescue responded to a structure fire where they found a dog trapped inside a home. At 11:49 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 29, Delray Beach Fire-Rescue arrived at Lake Drive to find the front of the home on fire.

According to Capt. Curtis Jepsen, units arrived to find the front porch with flames and smoke coming from patio furniture and the flames were quickly extinguished, preventing extension into the rest of the house.

Capt. Jepsen wrote in a press release that the homeowners were not in the home but the family dog was still inside and that the quick response and extinguishment of the blaze prevented any major damage inside the home.

Jepsen also wrote that the extension of the fire and smoke was also limited, which allowed the dog to escape with no injuries and that the entire house was searched and the dog was removed by firefighters and given to the pet’s owners.
Jepsen said that there were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.

The picture shows damage on a picture from the heat that was generated. According to Jepsen, this heat could have easily spread to the remainder of the house causing a much larger conflagration, resulting in drastically more damage as well as the potential for the loss of a family pet.

This door melted due to the heat in the fire.

POSTED IN:

Discuss this entry

Tax collector: Taxes on domestic partners' health insurance is unfair

Palm Beach County Tax Collector Anne Gannon's office has been busy this week with anti-texting campaign and today released information on how she plans to help offset federal taxes on domestic partners' health insurance, a process she calls "unfair."

According to a press release from her office, Gannon, the Constitutional Tax Collector, has implemented a policy to offset additional taxes paid by employees with a registered domestic partner on the agency’s medical plan. The Domestic Partnership Tax Equity Program compensates for the federal tax charged to employees who cover their domestic partners as part of their health insurance benefit.

"Our employees in domestic partnerships are taxed on their partner’s medical coverage. Our married employees are not taxed on their partner’s health insurance," Gannon said.

"This is unfair.”

According to the news release, Gannon wrote that federal law requires employees with domestic partners to pay taxes on the full coverage amount of health insurance, including the employer contribution. That means Gannon’s employees with domestic partnership coverage pay hundreds of dollars a year in additional federal taxes. She will reduce the impact of these unfair federal taxes through an annual stipend of $500.

Gannon is among a handful of public offices nationwide to offer this benefit. Gannon began offering domestic partner coverage on medical, dental, and vision plans in 2006. Gannon lives in Delray Beach.

POSTED IN:

Discuss this entry

January 25, 2013

Palm Beach County Tax Collector Anne Gannon asking for ban on texting while driving

Delray Beach resident and Palm Beach County Tax Collector Anne Gannon said it's time to address that distracted driving from texting causes serious consequences in a recent email. It said:

Dear Editor:

Any person meeting the legal requirements is issued a driver license.

Unfortunately, a valid license does not make someone a safe driver. Distracted driving creates serious hazards. Of all driving distractions, texting is the most dangerous, increasing crash risks by 23 times.Texting takes your eyes off the road and hands off the steering wheel. Five seconds is the minimal time a person’s attention is diverted. At 55 mph, that’s equivalent to driving the length of a football field blindfolded.

Why care about texting while driving?

Florida law enforcement only recently began to track texting while driving as a cause of crashes. However, other statistical sources show texting as the cause for 43 percent of fatal wrecks in Florida. A recent Pew Research Center survey reveals one in four adults admit to texting and driving, the same percentage as teenagers.

Florida is one of only five states without some sort of ban on texting while driving.Is a text message so important that it’s worth killing yourself or another innocent person? If so, please pull over first.

Our lives could depend on it.

Anne M. Gannon
Constitutional Tax Collector

POSTED IN:

Discuss this entry

January 21, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebrations well attended in Delray Beach

Festivities celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day began early in the city of Delray Beach with the Spady Cultural Heritage Museum's 13th annual Breakfast Program at Delray Beach Golf Club, wherecity officials, religious leaders and business professionals made up the 250 in attendance.

Dr. Art Evans, a Florida Atlantic University Sociology professor, gave a passionate speech about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy and how religion needs to be the foundation of a better tomorrow.

"One of the things that Dr. King knew was that religion provides a foundation. Without a foundation we wouldn't be here today. And without religion there would've been no civil rights movement," Evans said.

Oratory contest winner Zykra Carter, a student at Village Academy, received a standing ovation for her remarks about Martin Luther King Jr.

"I have a dream today that the nation will rise up and live the true meaning of its creed. If Dr. King were alive today, I believe that he would be involved in many things. He would probably be the most important black man in the United States you know. Dr. King would probably be involved in politics, from my point of view he'd be a leader of his church," Carter said.

"He'd probably be president and help to stop violence and black-on-black killings."

Later in the day at 2 p.m., a crowd that swelled to more than 300 people walked in the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial March from the Delray Beach Community Center, 50 NW First Ave. to Pompey Park, 1102 NE Second St.

POSTED IN:

Discuss this entry

For older entries, please click here.

About This Blog

Dave DiPinoDave DiPino
David DiPino joined Forum Publishing Group in August 2006. As a reporter for the Delray Forum, David covers community news and writes a dining column twice a month that focuses on restaurants in South Palm Beach County.

He also is one of the writers of the twice-monthly Hometown Downtown column that looks at events, celebrations, and organizations in Delray and Boynton Beach. He freelances for the Sun-Sentinel during high school football and basketball seasons.

David spent 12 years working in the restaurant industry, and did just about every job in the back of the house, including line cook, sous chef, and dessert chef. A Florida native who lives in Jupiter, he studied Multimedia Journalism at Florida Atlantic University, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree. David enjoys playing the guitar, golf, boating and snorkeling during his free time.

Contact him at ddipino@gmail.com or 954-621-5000.

Categories