South Florida Sun-Sentinel
fpg blog nav

« May 2012 | Main | July 2012 »

June 20, 2012

Weston hospital appoints new department chairman

Dr.%20Raul%20Rosenthal.jpg
(Submitted photo)

Dr. Raul Rosenthal has been appointed chairman of the Department of General Surgery at Cleveland Clinic Florida in Weston.

He oversees a team of surgeons specializing in general surgery, vascular, breast and bariatric surgery. Rosenthal also continues to serve as director of Cleveland Clinic Florida’s Bariatric and Metabolic Institute and program director for the General Surgery Residency Program, which enrolls its inaugural class of general surgery residents in July.

facebook_logo.jpg Follow us on Facebook by clicking here!

POSTED IN: None

Discuss this entry

Closures surrounding I-595 project

ConstructionSegmentsDec1.jpg
(http://www.i-595.com/)

The I-595 Express Improvements Project will facilitate the closure of the flyover ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595.

Construction crews plan to raise the flyover ramp by 18 inches to accommodate the construction of additional travel lanes. No cars will be permitted to travel under the structure during this work.

There will be numerous roadway closures from 11:30 p.m. Saturday, July 14 through 11:30 p.m. Sunday, July 15:

- The ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595.
- Northbound and southbound University Drive at I-595.
- Westbound State Road 84 from State Road 7 to Pine Island Road (no access to Florida's Turnpike).
- Westbound I-595 from University Drive to Pine Island Road.
- Eastbound I-595 on-ramps from Weston Road to University Drive.
- Florida’s Turnpike to westbound I-595 and westbound SR 84 will be closed.
- SR 7 to westbound I-595 and westbound SR 84 will be closed.
- Eastbound I-595 lanes will be detoured to eastbound SR 84 prior to University Drive for the 24-hour period.
- The flyover ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595 will remain closed for 120 days. All other movements will be open.

For more information on the project, visit http://www.i-595.com/index.asp.

Discuss this entry

June 18, 2012

Weston presented with budget presentation award

moneysign.jpg

Weston was given the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for the Fiscal Year beginning Oct. 1, 2011, presented by the Government Finance Officers Association of the U.S. and Canada.

This is the 10th year that the city has received award recognition. Assistant City Manager/CFO David Keller and treasurer Darrel Thomas prepared the annual budget pursuant to the GFOA guidelines and requirements.

Discuss this entry

June 13, 2012

Weston doctor named fellow for American Surgical Association

Dr.%20Steven%20Wexner.jpg
(submitted pic)

Dr. Steven Wexner, chairman of the Department of Colorectal Surgery, chief academic officer and emeritus chief of staff at Cleveland Clinic Florida in Weston, has been elected a fellow of the American Surgical Association.

Wexner joins an elite group of only 460 active fellows selected from more than 150,000 surgeons across the country dedicated to the cultivation and improvement of the science and art of surgery. One of the original staff physicians to join Cleveland Clinic Florida when it was established in 1988, he is currently the only active ASA fellow practicing in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Discuss this entry

June 12, 2012

Video: Katina Taylor Spin-A-Thon in Weston

(Video by Scott Fishman)

The third annual Katina Taylor Spin-A-Thon raised close to $20,000 for the Jason Taylor Foundation. Katina's brother and former Miami Dolphin Zach Thomas also participated during the two-hour spinning session at the Midtown Athletic Club in Weston.

Jason Taylor and fellow former Dolphin Derrick Rodgers were outside playing with the children who signed up for the Cardio Camp.

Discuss this entry

codered.jpg

With the start of hurricane season, it is important to stay connected.

One way to do that is through the CodeRED program in Weston, a high-speed telephone communication service for emergency-only notifications. This system allows the city to send critical communications in an emergency situation that requires immediate action.

CodeRED delivers a message from the city manager’s office describing the emergency and instructions for action. You can also receive texts or email alerts.

Residents can register through Weston's website and clicking on the CodeRED icon. The system will only be used for emergency and life safety purposes, such as drinking water contamination, missing persons, hurricanes and bomb threats.

Discuss this entry

Buildbots program in Weston starts next month

Buildbots%20Header.png

The Buildbots program returns to the Weston Community Center, 20200 Saddle Club Road, starting July 10 with class for children ages 7-14.

The class provides a step-by-step progression from beginner to advanced levels. With the aid of LEGO's programmable bricks along with sensors, motors and more, children can create robots.

Sessions run from 1-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and residents can sign up for two- or four-week programs that run until Aug. 2. Cost is $120 for two weeks and $230 for four weeks. For more information, visit www.buildbots.com or call 954-389-4321.

Discuss this entry

June 6, 2012

Weston Phillharmonic Society installs new board, awards scholarships

IMG_0531.JPG
(Submitted photo)
Weston Philharmonic Society president Roger Lander with 2012 scholarship recipients Michelle Vega, Griffin Weber, Josh Schwartz and Gabriel Gordilla.

The Weston Philharmonic Society recently installed its new board officers and directors in a ceremony at the Weston Hills Country Club.

President Roger Lander awarded scholarship checks to four local high school students who will be continuing their studies in the field of music.

Cypress Bay High's Josh Schwartz and Gabriel Gordilla and Western High's Griffin Weber and Michelle Vega received checks for $1,500. At a prior ceremony, the Weston Philharmonic Society also gave the two high schools checks for $2,000 to help in the purchase of musical instruments and sheet music.

For more information, visit www.westonphilharmonic.com.

Discuss this entry

Area to get mosquito spraying on Thursday

mosquito.jpg

Broward County Mosquito Control Section will spray for mosquitoes in the southwest part of Broward County on 4-6:30 a.m. Thursday, June 7, weather permitting.

The area to be sprayed includes Interstate 75 to the north, Griffin Road to the south, Weston Road to the east and Southwest 209th Avenue to the west. This area will take in the majority of Weston.

Residents with breathing difficulties should remain indoors.

Broward County Mosquito Control sprays areas of the county by truck and plane, based on requests from residents. To request service online, visit broward.org or call 954-765-4062.

Discuss this entry

About the Reporter

SCOTT FISHMANSCOTT FISHMAN
Scott Fishman has covered Davie and Weston since August 2008. Born ...

More

Latest news

City by City

Find your city page for more news, photos and resources:

Categories