7 more tips for keeping your home safe
The nights are growing cooler and longer so lovely as it is, take some extra precautions to make sure you and your home stay safe.
1. If you neighborhood doesn't already have a neighborhood watch, start one.
2. If you see something suspicious, call 911 immediately. Don't worry about being wrong.
3. Don't leave hidden keys outside - under doormats, in the mailbox or other "secret" places.
4. Be sure your home always looks occupied, and close your window coverings when its dark outside.
5. Use your license number to engrave your belongings. The police have engravers that you can use. This makes it difficult for burglars to sell them and makes it easier for the police to identify them.
6. Keep the shrubs around your home trimmed so your house is visible and intruders can't hide behind them.
7. Make an inventory of all of your valuables and photograph or video them. Record the date, a description and when you bought them. Store the information somewhere other than your home such as in a safe deposit box.