Deadlocked in their vote for a new ballpark for the Marlins, the Miami City Commission decided instead to hold off further votes until next month.
The commission’s ballpark discussion will continue on March 12, which presumably will give time for any further negotiation that might make the $515 million financing proposal palatable to more city commissioners – and perhaps even allow for Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones, who is on maternity leave, to attend.
The Miami-Dade County Commission, which had been waiting since 1 p.m. to start its meeting on the ballpark plan, instead didn’t hold its meeting. The commission chairman will decide when the county should hold its next meeting. Any substantive changes in the ballpark deal would need to be reviewed by both the city and county.
Marlins President David Samson said he appreciated the political process and assured fans of the team and supporters of the ballpark that he is not giving up.
“I do not believe this marks the end, because we will continue to try to figure out a way to reconvene this meeting and have the county meeting that has not even begun yet,” he said.
“I tell our fans who are watching, spring training starts tomorrow, I will be in Jupiter for that. We are going to continue working to make sure the ballpark opens on time and on budget in 2012.”
He said fans should not believe that work on the ballpark is over: “I assure you when that is no longer the case you will hear it from me.”
The deadlock came when City Commissioner Marc Sarnoff asked that the Marlins agree to three additional items: covering overruns on parking garages and lots, and turning over proceeds from naming rights and any profit if the team is sold -- to the city and county. Samson said the team would agree to cap the parking costs at $94 million, but not the other provisions.