Luxury auto dealer Norman Braman has struck out again.The Third District Court of Appeal affirmed on Wednesday the lower court’s ruling in Braman’s suit targeting the financing for the Florida Marlins' new ballpark and other Miami projects.
That means the appeals court agreed with the Miami-Dade Circuit court, which last year ruled against Braman. Braman’s attorneys argued, among other things, the public should have been allowed to vote on the use of public tax dollars for the venue for a private baseball team.
“We’re evaluating the decision and our options,” Braman said Wednesday afternoon.
The Marlins are continuing construction of the $515 million ballpark, which began in July on 928,000 square feet at the former site of the Orange Bowl. The team declined to comment on the appeals court ruling.
Miami-Dade County and the city of Miami were also named in Braman’s suit.
“Incredible progress is being made at the site of the new Miami Marlins ballpark,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said in a statement. “Jobs are being created and the Little Havana neighborhood is alive with new activity. Today’s ruling ensures that we will continue to move forward in a positive direction, creating opportunities for businesses, residents, and visitors.”
The ballpark is scheduled to open in 2012.