The Thunder not only routed the Heat in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, they are blowing them away in merchandise sales during the playoffs.
That national sentiment favors Kevin Durant and Co. over the Heat is reflected in demand for their gear, according to Fanatics.com, a leading online retailer of licensed sports merchandise.
According to Fanatics.com, the Thunder went from selling the sixth-most merchandise during the regular season to selling the most during the playoffs.
Heat merchandise is selling at about half in the playoffs as during the regular season, according to Fanatics.com.
And Durant is winning the popularity showdown of superstars by far. Durant jerseys have sold 30 percent more than LeBron James jerseys, and nearly 70 percent more than Dwyane Wade jerseys.
NBA Regular Season Team Ranking by Merchandise Sales
(Based on sales by Fanatics.com)
1. Knicks (70 percent more than the Bulls)
2. Bulls (Nearly 20 percent more than the Lakers)
3. Lakers (20 pjercent more than the Heat)
4. Heat (40 percent more than the Celtics and nearly 2x more than the Thunder)
5. Celtics (35 percent more than the Thunder)